Follow Me
  • Facebook Basic Black
  • Twitter Basic Black
  • Black Google+ Icon

Growing up with Epilepsy

June 15, 2017

I had my first grand-mal seizure when I was 7. I was sitting at my kitchen table. I remember waking up on my couch with my mom and dad next to me, I woke up very confused and didn't know what had happened to me. The first time my mom tried to give me medication was by hiding it in ice cream. I knew she wouldn't normally give me ice cream in the morning so I knew something had to be up, couldn't fool me though...sorry ma. 


I had my second big grand-mal seizure when I was in 8th grade. It was terrible. I was sitting against the window in the cafeteria during lunch talking to my friends, when EVERYONE in my grade had lunch. So for a 13 year old, it was one of the most horrifying things a teen could go through. Waking up with the cops and EMT'S, the principal, and your friends crying around you, not knowing what the hell just happened, is scary. All I could do was cry. They wanted to take me to the hospital, but my dad said no, because all I would do in a hospital is sleep so instead he just took me home so I can sleep off my migraine in a nice comfy bed (thanks dad). 


After that I had a seizure in 9th grade in English class. We were watching Romeo and Juliet and the last thing I remember before waking up is turning around to say something to someone then BAM next thing I'm waking up with all these people around me. I had another one in 10th grade during band. My friend Lauren was sitting next to me and she got up and screamed. My band teacher didn't think anything of it until he saw me on the floor seizing. High school wasn't a breeze for me. People were really mean. There were people who would make fun of me, call me fat and worst of all people would pretend to have seizures in front of me. It made me really hate everything about high school, yet on my last day of high school I was crying...go figure. So after my fall in band class I was seizure free for a couple years. I actually got my license, took drivers ed and the road test, everything was great...


Then my 2nd month into college at Nassau Community College I got in a fight with someone and it really stressed me out. It stressed me out so much that it led me to a seizure. After that it was goodbye license, hello cabs....that was almost 10 years ago, yet it feels like yesterday. Sometimes I can't believe that its been over 10 years since I've been seizure free. As I got older and started to become a woman, my epilepsy has, unfortunately gotten worse. And let me tell you something....I'm not gonna sugar coat it, it fucking sucks.












Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

© 2017 The Life Of An Epileptic